Relationships and Sex Education (RSE) Policy Consultation
This consultation invites the views of parents and carers on our RSE Policy, which will apply at Alexandra Park School from January 2021, in line with requirements from the Department for Education (DfE).
This consultation has been published on the Alexandra Park School website. Parents and carers are invited to respond to the consultation by following the instructions below.
In June 2019, the DfE published “Relationships education, relationships and sex education (RSE) and health education” (June 2019). This guidance:
- Makes it compulsory for all schools to have an RSE Policy and to consult parents and carers in the development of that policy;
- Sets out the topics that need to be taught to students by the end of secondary schools; and
- Makes changes to the right of parents or carers to withdraw their child from the elements of sex education that are not taught as part of the compulsory national science curriculum.
What’s stayed the same?
These and other topics are covered in our RSE Policy and RSE Curriculum. The new requirements formalise expectations, but don’t make any significant changes to what we teach our students. The majority of the topics required by the DfE were already taught as part of our Personal, Social and Health Education (PSHE) curriculum, and in other subjects.
In addition to consulting parents and carers on our RSE Policy, we have met good practice recommendations from the DfE by consulting staff, students and the Board of Trustees in the development of our RSE Policy and Curriculum.
We’ve worked hard to make sure that our RSE curriculum reflects:
- Our values of equality, inclusion and respect for all students and communities;
- Our students’ age and maturity levels, as well as their cultural and religious backgrounds;
- Our vision of success for all, meeting every students’ learning needs; and
- What students need to know to be healthy and safe in school, in their personal relationships and in the wider world
How can I give feedback?
The draft RSE Policy is set out in the PDF document linked below.
We welcome your feedback, which you can provide feedback using the form below. You may also use any of these alternative methods:
020 8826 4912
Closing date for submissions is Friday 27 November 2020.
Please provide us with your feedback using the form below. If you experience any technical issues when submitting the form, you can contact email@example.com.
Form now closed
We will consider responses to the consultation received by 27 November 2020 so that our RSE Policy can be approved by the Board of Trustees and published before January 2021.